Patron Parents – COORDINATOR: Shandel Flynn (Assistant Principal – Religious Education (Ph. 07 5510 0055 )
‘Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it’
What is the Patron Parent network?
The Patron Parent Network has been running very successfully in the school since 2001. The goals of the Patron Parent network are:
- To build community within our school
- To be a point of contact for the class parents who are unsure about school procedures.
- To support the school through active participation in helping with the Fete and Beachathon.
Part of our school’s Mission Statement is to work in partnership with parents, care givers and the parish community. Patron Parents are helping to achieve this aim.
Each class at the school has one Parent Parent.
The basic idea behind Patron Parents is to attempt to make contact with and involve more parents in the school community and from this, to develop a stronger parent base in the school and a greater sense of community at Guardian Angels.
The tasks a Patron Parent can be involved in can be many and varied:
- Help organise a social event for the class or year level each term.
- Act in a pastoral care role to welcome new families.
- Assist the P&F and encourage parents to get involved with preparation for the Fete, Beachathon and Guardian Angels Day.
What is a Patron Parent NOT expected to do?
- Not to be a counsellor
- Not to be a trouble-shooter or solver of problems
- Not to lobby parents about school issues
- Not to be a middle-person in disputes or difficult situations
If you become aware that a family is experiencing difficulties, eg sickness, separation, then contact the school Principal or APRE, who will make contact with them. It is not advisable to contact the family yourself, as their privacy and dignity needs to be respected.